Thursday, May 15, 2008

Introduction

Welcome! My name is Ed, and I would like to thank you for visiting my blog! On March 2nd, 2008 I suffered a complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament of my left knee from a fall during a skiing trip in Vermont. When this first happened, I had many emotions including shock, fear, and confusion over what this really meant. Ever since that time, I have learned so much about this particular injury and the workings of the human knee, that I thought it would be great to share it with the world. I was also in need of a centralized place to collect and document my thoughts on this injury. Thus this blog was born.

I had actually meant to start this blog much sooner, but only recently got around to doing so. Because of this, there is about a two month delay since the injury happened during which many important events have taken place. Over the next few days, I will go over everything relating to this injury, in as much detail as I remember. Hopefully you will find the story interesting :) . In addition, I will try to touch on related topics that I have experience, information, or strong feelings about. Here is a rough outline of what I plan to cover over the life of this blog:
  • Detailed description of my injury and subsequent phases of recovery
  • ACL reconstruction surgery options, and how I came to make my choice
  • Pre- and post-op physical therapy I am doing
  • Supplemental physical training, in addition to therapy, that I am doing
  • Interesting facts about the U.S. medical system I have uncovered through this, my first experience of a major medical problem
  • How to deal with daily life issues presented by the various phases of the injury
  • Various other ramblings as I see fit :)

Lastly, let me close by saying that I truly hope this blog helps you with your own injury or general knowledge. Feel free to comment and ask questions, I will do my best to answer.

And now, onward to the story...

No comments: